Voting and Elections
The information and dates listed on this page are derived from the Mississippi Secretary of State’s Election Page
Their calendar of important registration and election dates is here: https://rb.gy/kbfgne
2022 Election – Quick Downloads
See the list of County Judge candidates and information they have provided here: https://www.lafayettems.com/departments/county-judge-candidates/
Who is my election commissioner?
When is election day?
General Election day is Tuesday, November 8, 2022. Polls open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 7:00 p.m.
* Runoff date if needed: Tuesday, November 29, 2022 Polls open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 7:00 p.m.
What’s on the ballot?
The 2022 General Election sample ballot is not available but to see a list of all candidates and the positions they are running for click here.
What is the deadline to register to vote?
The deadline to register for the November 8, 2022 general election is October 10, 2022.
- Applicants who register in person must be registered by 5:00 PM October 10, 2022 or earlier for the general election.
- Registration applications that are mailed in must be postmarked no later than 5:00 PM October 10, 2022 for the general election to be eligible.
How do I register to vote?
In Mississippi, you can register to vote in person or by mail.
- To register in person in Lafayette County, please visit the Circuit Clerk’s office.
- To register by mail, download this voter registration form: https://rb.gy/hwiizd. Fill out the form and mail or hand-deliver to the Circuit Clerk’s office at 1 Courthouse Sq., Ste. 101 Oxford, MS 38655.
- Mississippi does not offer online voter registration.
How old must I be to register to vote?
You can be 17 to register to vote, but you must be 18 by November 8, 2022, to participate in the 2022 general election.
What if I need to change my address?
To update your address by mail, download this voter registration form: https://rb.gy/hwiizd. Fill out the form and mail or hand-deliver to the Circuit Clerk’s office at 1 Courthouse Sq., Ste. 101 Oxford, MS 38655 or visit the Circuit Clerk’s office.
Can I early vote?
Mississippi does not currently allow voters to early vote.
How do I absentee vote?
Absentee ballots for the November 8, 2022 general election will be available September 26, 2022 at the Cicuit Clerk’s office. You can absentee vote in-person at the Circuit Clerk’s offce or can request an absentee ballot to vote by mail. An absentee voter guide can be found here. If you have any questions, please contact the Circuit Clerk’s office: 662-234-4951.
Absentee Voting Dates for the November 8, 2022 general election.
- Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, October 8, 2022: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Saturday, October 29, 2022: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Saturday, November 5, 2022: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Last day to absentee vote in-person.)
Mail-In absentee ballots must be postmarked on or before 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 8, 2022.
What do I need to bring with me to vote?
You will need to bring a form of government-issued photo identification to the polls. Acceptable forms of identification include:
- A driver’s license
- A photo ID card issued by a branch, department, or entity of the State of Mississippi
- A United States passport
- A government employee ID card
- A firearms license
- A student photo ID issued by an accredited Mississippi university, college, or community/junior college
- A United States military ID
- A tribal photo ID
- Any other photo ID issued by any branch, department, agency or entity of the United States government or any State government
- A Mississippi Voter Identification Card
If you are not able to provide this form of identification, the Circuit Clerk’s Office can provide you with a Voter Identification Card free of charge.
Where can I find information about voting if I am in the military or voting from overseas?
The Mississippi Secretary of State maintains information about these: Military and Overseas Voter Information
Where do I vote?
Oxford 1: Extension Office, 70 F.D. “Buddy” East Parkway (County Road 406), Oxford, MS
Denmark-Lafayette Springs-Pine Bluff: Fire Station #11, 11 County Road 287, Oxford, MS
Yocona Community Center: 826 Highway 334, Oxford, MS
Oxford 2: Oxford Conference Center 102 Ed Perry Blvd., Oxford, MS
Philadelphia: Philadelphia Community Center, 1303 Highway 30 East, Etta, MS
Oxford 3: Stone Recreation Center, 423 Washington Ave., Oxford, MS
Abbeville: Springfield M.B. Church, 62 County Road 106, Abbeville, MS
College Hill: College Hill Community Center, 10 County Road 130, Oxford, MS
Taylor 3: Taylor Community Center, 78 County Road 338, Taylor, MS
Oxford 4: Lafayette Civic Club, 14 Tommie Collie Jane Road, Oxford, MS
Burgess: Clear Creek Baptist Church, 46 CR 313, Oxford, MS
Anchor-Taylor 4: Green’s Shop, 177 County Road 376, Water Valley, MS
Union West: Fire Station #16, 823 County Road 313, Oxford, MS
Harmontown: Fire Station #1, 599 Highway 310, Como, MS
Oxford 5: Voting Precinct 501, 101 Center Ridge Drive (Highway 7 South), Oxford, MS
Paris: Fire Station #14, 31 County Road 430, Paris, MS
Tula: Fire Station #6, 153 County Road 436, Oxford, MS
Airport Grocery: Fire Station #3, 15 County Road 369, Oxford, MS 38655
How can I become a poll worker?
Poll working is an integral part of the voting process. Ensuring a safe, reliable and streamlined environment helps voters and election officials. To understand how you can get involved, visit: https://rb.gy/ioo4n7
Where can I get information about being a candidate for election or petitions for referenda?
Please visit the Mississippi Secretary of State website for information about candidate qualifications, finances, lobbying, and referenda.
Where can I find more information?
Additional information regarding voting procedure can be found on the Secretary of State’s website or by contacting the Circuit Clerk’s office at (662) 234-4951.